Glenfield Rovers vs Wanderers Men 2016

  • Glenfield Rovers
  • 3
  • Hamilton Wanderers
  • 3


Matt Oliver
Bailey Webster :g:
Johnny Konings
Campbell Attwood
Jordan Shaw
Alexi Varela
Federico Marquez :g:
Cory Mitchell
Wade Molony
Henry Stephen 46
Jama Boss 73


Liam Hayes 46 :g:
Paul Clout 73

Glenfield Goals Galore

After a week’s layoff enforced by the compulsory bye, it was back into action for only the second league game of the season. A stilted start to the season for Wanderers was frustrating, especially after a first up loss at home. The McFetridge Park faithful are always guaranteed to lay on a hostile welcome and they didn’t disappoint here today. The game started slowly and it was a while before both sides hit top gear. It ended in a rousing 3-3 draw and thrilling game for spectators.

For Wanderers it looked a bit ominous fairly early on. They were one down courtesy of the menacing Stephen Holloway who nicked a goal in from a Glenfield corner. Holloway is nearing the end of his career and I am told he trains fairly lightly nowadays to keep body intact for the weekend games. But he has been a constant thorn in the side of Wanderers over the years and seems to always get on the score-sheet.

In fact it was only a fingertip save from goalie Matt Oliver from Diego Oliveres that kept the away side from going two down and he stopped another when Glenfield’s Gwyther broke through and looked set to score. But the boys in blue rallied and applied pressure. I thought to myself the season won’t really start until we score our first goal. After 90 minutes in the first game and 39 in this one it eventually arrived. Some excellent work from Cory Mitchell put the home side under pressure then the ball broke to Bailey Webster on the right. He smashed it goal-ward in a hopeful manner, a tad astray, but luckily to the feet of Federico Marquez. The diminutive Uruguayan controlled the ball beautifully and deftly chipped over the advancing keeper.

The halftime score saw the teams headed to the sheds at 1-1 but early in the second half Glenfield struck again when Tommy Miller took advantage of some faffing round at the back by Wanderers and snuck in to give the team in black the lead again. However Mark Cossey’s canny substitution of Liam Hayes for Henry Stephen paid dividend when Hayes used his strength to good advantage and crashed home another equaliser for the away side following a goalmouth melee.

It was not to last. Despite increasing pressure on the home side they managed to secure a fairly dodgy looking free kick in a handy position. Up stepped, guess who, that man Holloway and he dispatched a clinical shot that beat the wall and keeper all ends up. Could the away side come back again? Yes. A fortuitous penalty gave Bailey Webster the chance to make it 3-3 and he duly obliged with a nice angled shot.

By now the home team were resorting more to the long ball and every tackle seemed to result in the call to trot on their physio. Ball boys were non-existent so I made myself useful by loitering at the home goal to scamper after stray shots and keep the game flowing. Despite a couple of useful chances Wanderers couldn’t hit a winner so the spoils were shared, some might say a fair result, but for the blue team and their supporters there as a distinct feeling that this game was there for the taking.

Rod de Lisle